Wednesday, November 19, 2008

D-Town


Scott and I had a fabulous weekend, I just had to write about.  My sister gave us a gift of a night's hotel stay at the Hyatt in Dearborn.  It was beautiful!  We had a huge picture window view, and the hotel had a great workout room, pool and jaccuzzi.  We first had dinner, and in celebration of my upcoming birthday, I got the steak I had been craving for a week.  Then, we worked out in the hotel fitness center, swam and enjoyed the jaccuzzi, both in the evening and the morning.  
On Saturday we toured Detroit.  We took a tour of the Henry Ford Estate, which was really cool.  He had a real "state of the art" home with an indoor pool, generators powered by the Rouge River, a central vaccuum, a home movie player, a bowling lane, a huge garage to house about 10 cars, and just a beautiful home.  It was fun to see.  
Then, we went into the downtown area, and took the "people mover," which is the elevated train around the city.  It's great!  For 50 cents you can get a good view of the entire city.  We had lunch in Greektown and then toured the Detroit Historical Museum.  Both museum passes were compliments of the library system, so we had a nice inexpensive and super-fun weekend get away!
We both enjoyed a break from Timmy, as we had him babysat and had a great time together.
Thanks Mel!!!  What a great birthday gift!

3 comments:

Todd and Anna said...

Wow! Detroit looks like a fun place when you see it on your blog. Makes us wish we actually spent more time there while in Michigan, we were always too scared. Looks like a fun get away for you guys.

Stapletons said...

It seems that most people never really spend much time in Detroit around here. I don't know that we would want to go there a lot, but I thought it was definitely worth seeing. Scott was really really hesitant to go into downtown. He was just so sure our car would get bashed or something. :) But in the end, I thought it was definitely worthwhile to tour the town.

Anna-Lisa said...

Awesome b-day gift! What fun. Congrats about the new little one on the way...how exciting! I love reading your blog!