Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Shout out to Michigan Missionaries!!

Hey, I'd just like give a little praise to all of the great missionaries we've gotten to know since we've been here: Witchurch, Doxey, DeLange, May, Mohlman, Rasmussen, Lithgoe, Mecham, and Blood.  (Elder Blood, by the way, is a pretty good musician: check out his musik at http://www.reverbnation.com/calebblood or http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=196945094.  While he's on a mission, he's decided to release his music for free download!) Here's a pic with Mecham and Blood before Mecham's departure: He's been Timmy's favorite missionary so far, I don't think he ever didn't smile when Mecham made a goofy face at him.


Elder Mecham left last week and it kind of got me thinkin.  When I was a missionary in Germany, I remember people saying things like "I don't want to get to know another elder, because you all just end up leaving."  Having such close contact with the missionaries here, I'm starting to figure out why people felt like that: you build a relationship with an elder, and then he gets transferred, and you have to start all over again.  I'm sure there are plenty of reasons for the transitory nature of missionaries, and I wonder if one of those reasons is to keep the status of the position higher than the status of the person.  It seems that when you decide to devote your full attention to bringing souls to Christ, your personality can speak louder than your message, especially when you are well-known.  Maybe by transferring missionaries frequently, converts, missionaries, and members alike are constantly faced with the fact that the message missionaries carry is still life changing whether it is given by Elder Blood, Elder Mecham, or his replacement Elder Doolan.  In this way we can avoid linking the message of Christ with any one person, and our convictions can be founded on love for God and man rather than devotion to a particular missionary.  Anyway, enough ranting.  

Just in case you wondered what would happen if you leave your wife alone with the camera and baby for just one minute.  Seriously, one minute.  It's sickening to think of what could have happened if I had left her unsupervized longer.  I can't even imagine.  Sends chills down my spine.  Really, chills.  There it goes again, those dang chills.  Someone should shut the window.  By "someone," I mean anyone else but me.  Maybe you could get that window for me, your just sitting there on the computer doing nothing.  PLLLEEASE!!!! 

4 comments:

Alicia W. said...

Us moms are just afraid that if we put the camera down we will miss something great...look at all those awesome pictures Katie got!

Star Gazer said...

Katie, these are such great pictures! :) Can you send me your mailing address? I'd love to send you and Scott an announcement!

Harvey Family said...

What a cute little guy! Thanks for your comment on our blog. We are excited for you too!

How do you make the collages? That's such a great idea, but I can't figure it out...help :)

Stapletons said...

Scott made the collage on Powerpoint. You crop the pictures and put them all together. The, highlight the entire set of pictures, right click, and "save as" a jpg. (You can compress the size if you'd like to take up less room on your computer here) Then, you can insert that pic into your blog!