Thursday, November 8, 2012

Friedhof and Maastricht

So much to write about the last month!  I'm going to do some catch up posts.  :)
 Emily Wood stayed with us for a few days in September.  We didn't know her before, but she was friends with several people we knew in Aachen and she needed a place to crash for a few days, and a ride up to the US Consulate and the airport.   This photo is dropping her off in Düsseldorf.
That's me laying out.  Hehe ...just kidding. 
Rainy day "Picnic" at home.
 I'm wierd, but I like to walk through old cemetaries.  There are two in town.  Ost Friedhof and West Friedhof.  The latter is close to the boys Kindergarten, so I have stopped by there to walk several times.
 Some of the headstones and gartens are amazing!  This is my favorite one!
This is the mausoleum.  It has a reverent, unearthly feel to it.
   The windows are especially impressive.        
                                                                                                           I know this statue!  


 I visited Maastricht with my friend, Csilla, for a few hours one day.  She had an appointment there and invited me to tag along.  She showed me this building.  Hmmm.....church?   NOPE!  Bookstore!
 Of course, it used to be a church, but the building was getting old and needed renovating or to be torn down.  It was only saved by being turned into the Dominican Bookstore.  

Check out this cafe with the altar table!   Sacrilegious?  Maybe.  Interesting?  Definitely.
The eternal flame.

No comments: