Monday, April 1, 2013

Le trip to Liège

I had Friday and Monday off for Easter, and since we had double talks for church on Sunday and I was teaching the other lesson, we had to push off a trip till the tail end of the holiday.  So we went to Liège, Belgium.  We had heard that it wasn't the greatest city in the world, but decided to give it a shot.  

The biggest problem was the language barrier.  We have been blessed with the impeccable ability to not communicate with French-speaking peoples.  Case in point:

We drove in and saw this sign for a local eateria:


 We were mistakenly under the impression that one could simply add "Le" before any english phrase in order to make it French.  Tragic error.  Le tragic error.

Main palace and town centre:


The courtyard of the palace had columns that were individually made: the pattern on each one is different.  Not sure who made it, when, or why but sometimes it's nice to just be an ignorant tourist and like something "caus it's perty".


We took this crazy hike up the hill to the top of the Citadel.  Ok, so it probably isn't that crazy, but I'm really out of shape right now.  And that double stroller isn't getting any lighter.  And I'm really out of shape right now.  Did I mention that the stroller is heavy?  Right, I did.  Ok, great.  Yep, lots of stairs.  Yep.


 Up at the top we had an awesome view of the town:


And then we checked out Église Saint Barthélemy, where they have a baptismal font made of brass dating from 1107.  It has been called one of the seven wonders of Belgium, but I'm not convinced that Belgium doesn't have seven more-wonderful things to offer.

 It was a whirlwind 6 hour trip, but since it's only 45 min. away, we'll be back to see what missed this time around.  Oh yes, we'll be Le back!

2 comments:

Patricia C Parker said...

Le Cool!

Unknown said...

This sounds like le perfect place to turn Kinley loose with le French.