I stained the wall the same color as the stairs, so it matches. The holds are all made of scrap 2x4s that I had from the construction. I still have some finishing touches left and I'd like to make more holds, but it's functional already.
Pre-wall
Furring strips: these are attached to the studs and act as a spacer so that the bolts for the holds don't go through the drywall. The ceiling was tricky: I wasn't planning on doing anything there, so I didn't really support it that well. Had to get some long screws and anchor to the floor joist up above. Not the most elegant solution....
Me prepping the plywood. I drilled holes in a grid of 4" spacing. I didn't expect to have that density, but found online that it was better to go too dense rather than not dense enough. Ran out of T-nuts and had to get more. The work was in the cold garage, so I had to bundle up. I was trying to hurry through, so some of the cuts and holes aren't as clean as I would have liked them to be, but it all gets covered with holds anyway so I guess it's ok.
After I hung the walls. I still need to do some secondary staining of the wood, but otherwise looks good.
The kids were biting at the bit to start climbing, so I really had to make the holds fast! I buzzed through a bunch of them in a couple of hours. I've gone back and worked on some of them since, mostly making them a little more interesting with some curves, asymmetries, etc.
Cora can make it to the top!
Here's my wall at my parents house: the same concept except no sidewall and I had a fully horizontal section. Also, KT won't let me put stickers on this one:)
Overall, it probably took me a couple full Saturday's worth of time spread out over 3 weeks. Not a bad timeline for a fun little project like this one.







1 comment:
Good memories of that wall in your old house. Nice work on this one. Totes profesh.
Post a Comment