Wednesday, July 3, 2019

Jobs around the house

Just want to document that I did these and remind myself that when I have a job around the house, most of the time it is KT who is doing the heavy lifting by taking the kids while I'm doing it, so nice work with these jobs KT!

We're trying to make our home temperature more manageable while still using the little window AC units that we have.  Our house is actually pretty nice, but the sun makes it into our big windows between 2 and 4 in the afternoon and really heats things up.  We've gotten pretty good about closing up the blinds during this time, but our little corner windows don't have any coverings, so we still get a bunch of heat in.  We got some quotes for some blinds there, but they are all in the multi-thousands of dollars.  We decided to give window tinting a try.  We got some tint at HD, and it took me about 1/2 of a Saturday to put this up.  Now that I've done it though, I bet I could speed this up big time.  Luckily, the windows are high enough that you can't really see what a poor job I did.  Next time, I would buy a squeegee.   So it is ok: not the solution everything, but when you touch carpet that is in direct sunlight, it is not hot.  And you can see through it just fine other times.  In total, I'd call this one a B-.


The other job I've been doing is installing a ceiling under the deck.  I'm sick of not being able to park my car because of bikes, so we thought that rather than building a new structure, we would just waterproof the space under the deck.  We got these panels at Lowes and I put them up.  The hardest thing was getting the slope right and working under a deck where I can stand straight up.  I clocked my head a few times.  You can't see in this picture, but I put up a gutter at the end to catch the rain as it comes down.  It's pretty good, but now I need to make the ground flat and possibly put pavers down.  It'll be a lot of work, because the ground is super rocky.  If I were to do it again, I would find someone to help me hang the panels.  Some of them aren't exactly straight because I had to make my own little jigs to be able to hold the panels up there.  Bottom line is that there is now a dry space to put bikes!


No comments: