Sunday, August 19, 2012

Lately

What's going on lately?  Oh, just about everything!  Alright, maybe we're not that exciting, but at least something is going on.  Something might not be everything, but at least it's not nothing. 

So it's been mighty hot.  The general German lack of air conditioning leaves us all huddling in the shade sometimes.  But it's been so nice other than these last three very hot days, so hopefully we'll have some signature Aachen rain here in the next few days.  

We went down into the Eifel (the national park just south of us) and went swimming.  It was actually pretty chilly water.  Odd feeling: burned and crispy on top, icy cold on the bottom.  

The kids started kindergarten.  They like it so far, and even bust out a German word ab und zu (once in a while).  I'm still waiting for the day when I am having a conversation on the phone and my kids correct my grammar, but I'm sure it will come soon enough.

Here's a little picture of the church here.  We've all been spending a lot more time than we would like here because I got called as branch president a month or so ago (for those who don't understand Mormon lingo, a  "branch" is a small congregation and I guess you can guess what a "president" is).  It's been a lot of work, but  a good opportunity to learn and serve.


One day Katie took the boys here to what we call "the Dragon Bridge" before church.  It was so fun, we all went together last Sunday after church.  (That's why Tim has two different church outfits on).  There's a fantastic park on the way too.

We learned that if you want a peaceful walk on the bridge, you go at 8:30 am, and if you want to dodge bicycles every 10 feet, you go at 4:30 pm.  The views at both times are really really nice!

2 comments:

Blogful said...

Wow. Huge calling. Way to serve though. Let the blessings flow. Looks like you are having a ball there!

Brad and Tiff said...

Holy cow Scott and Katie! What a responsibility! You were certainly prepared for this, I am sure the people of your branch are so grateful to have you!