Day 1 - we went around the area on Subway, foot and bike and tried to see as much as we could on our list. First, we visited Sainte Chappelle with the Rose of the Apocalypse This altar pictured was built in the chapel to house the famous relics, which were purchased around 1200 from the Holy Land at a price that more than exceeded the cost of the actual chapel itself. Amazing amazing stained glass!
We made our first attempt at renting a Velib' bike, which "took some doing," but we figured in out. It only costs 1 Euro per day if you use it correctly....in 30 minute increments, and then you get back your full deposit. I should probably check and make sure the 300 Euro deposit is back on my card! :)
We then visited Notre Dame. Beautiful exterior. Inside is not a must see, in my opinion, but I did like the paintings inside.
We had lunch at a lovely little restaurant. Then we saw the Luxumbourg Gardens, as well as the Impressionistic Paintings in the Luxumbourg Museum, which has a small collection of about 100 paintings. Artists included Monet, Renoir, Vulliard, Manguin, Marquet, Lhote, and Camoin. The nicest thing about this museum was that it wasn't busy. It was quiet, small, and had a fantastic collection.
We made another attempt at the Velib' bike rental. We biked (unintentionally) to the Pantheon, which was a very cool building, and on purpose to the Invalides to see Napoleon's Tomb. That was totally spectacular! Very impressive structure!
Afterwards we biked around the Eifel Tower, escaped almost entering a freeway tunnel, and enjoyed a crepe at sunset, watching the Eifel Tower light up at night. A very impressive sight!
For girls who usually travel to the less populated areas.... who knew a city could be SO much fun?!



4 comments:
can I have your life?? please?? just kidding I like mine I promise...we just really want to live abroad! How did you manage that? any tips? My hubby speaks spanish and portuguese so we could live in portugal or spain!! His aunt live sin Paris- it is lovely- they are american and have been there 30 yrs.
Seriously???? I am so jealous.
Well, my suggestion would be to take a 2 week trip instead. Save up, eat the cost for a babysitter. Stay in our guest room for a week, and stay with Auntie in Paris for a week. You'll spend less money and see more in two weeks than if you lived here with kids for several months.
I only have tips for moving here the cheapest, which will still break you. :) Haha My tip I guess then, is move here with the military! They'll move you here!
I wouldn't do that move again for anything! It was so stressful!
:)
Come stay in my guestroom!
Love,
KT
Don't worry, our lives aren't really as fabulous as our blog sometimes makes it appear:)
Post a Comment