Sunday, January 29, 2017

Woods

When I was in Jr. High and took some aptitude test for a future career choice, my top contenders were engineer and forest ranger.  So I now get to sort of play-out my fantasy of being a forest ranger, without giving up my engineer salary.  Since everyone is sick of hearing me talk about my woods all the time, how about some pictures for context?

Here's our little stream we have running through the yard.  I've been trying to clean it out a bunch: it was pretty much covered with sticks and fallen trees, and it looks much nicer and is much more accessible this way.

Ryan from our ward came out and showed me how to use a chainsaw.  While he was here, we started work on a bridge over the main stream, but I just haven't finished it yet.

Finally, once we got some rain and the water table got a bit higher, a stream popped up in the middle of my trail.  So the boys and I dug out a trench, put a drainage pipe in it, filled it with big rocks, and put dirt on top.  It is a bit mucky still, but at least there is no standing water on the trail.
The weather has been pretty mild, so I have still had a bit of time to work in the woods here and there.