The big news of the new year was the breach of the US Capitol.
If you haven't read a good summary of the events, I think the public did a great job summarizing the details on Wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2021_storming_of_the_United_States_Capitol
Though the start to the New Year was rocky & frightening for our nation.....
......I feel lucky that at least locally, we have had uneventful, mundane events in the new year.
Hope you have had a "Gutes Rustch ins Neue Jahr" (A good push in the new year)
It was Cora's turn to make a treat.
She picked Rice Krispee treats, put red sprinkles on them,
and cut them into little shapes.
This time of year, I realize that my sugar addiction since Halloween has been too well fed!
Time to clean things up a bit! Hard to explain that to the kids. :)
I caught wind of a little hike called "Pulpit Rock" so we went to check it out.
The bikes were helpful to let the little kids keep up at first, but then in the middle, Scott
decided he needed the adventurous ravine trail, so he had to carry those on his back for that section.
Cool hike. We would go back!
It was icy, so I was glad I brought my spikes, but sad I didn't make everyone else wear theirs.
I love the new chess board Papa Tim made for the kids, and
the pretty artwork Scott made me for Christmas.
Sunday dinner last
Scott was excited to find a $1 board in the junk wood at Home Depot.
It made the perfect "scoop skinny" for his mtn biking trail.
I hiked the little 1/2 mile poetry loop with my friend Lisa and her girls one afternoon.
A view of Robert Frosts farm from the back.
A very common home style at the time: Big house, little house, back house, barn.
(All interconnected)
This way you could walk to each part without having to go outside.
Aaron was in the spelling bee at his school! This is an honor because only the kids who win their class spelling bee get to participate. Normally, there are about 18 in person, but this year he was one of 4 in person and the rest were virtual. :) He is on the far left.
Scott is slowly replacing the top of the wood on the long bridge. He can now bike across it, which is fun. He also made a connector trail on a spot that you couldn't make a turn on a bike. Now he can bike the whole thing around and around without having to get off.
More ice skating fun! The ice has sadly since melted.
Funny that I am actually wishing for colder days!
A friend of mine was on quarantine, so I picked up her groceries.
I met foods I have never bought before!
I had a big kick on reading the little kids some classics. It was so fun to read some
that I had never read, like Miss Rumpkins, and many I had read, but not in a long long time.
Cora and Ollie loved them all!
Cora's mustache art
Little rant: I am really slow to suspect people of ripping me off.
I've been going to this shop by our house for years now. Not because I'm happy with their work, but because they are just so conveniently close....and they have a nice, comfortable, waiting room.
I have gone to other shops, but I always end up forgetting how much I distrust this one, and go back!
Every time Scott and I go there we feel we were overcharged, that they misdiagnosed, or did a shoddy job, but I convince myself to go there again for some reason.
Last week was the last straw. I got a quote for $900 to fix a squeaky belt. They were surprised when I came to get it without having it repaired. Most people, the man told me, just say to fix it and they don't care how much it costs. I guess that's how customers operate when this shop is the only "game" in town.
Went to another town & shop, & they fixed it in 15 minutes for $107. I'm done with our local place!
Pete's Garage was awesome! Plus it's the first garage I've been to where the mechanics/front desk wore masks around me. I just assumed no one did until now. I appreciated that.
Rant over.

















2 comments:
Several good ones by McClosky! We are fans too. And do I spy Freight Train? Such a great one! I forgot that book is titled "Miss Rumphius." My kids ask for me to read "The Lupine Lady." If you liked her, also try The Ox-Cart Man by Donald Hall. Also, I think you need to add The Little House or Mike Mulligan by Virginia Lee Burton. Okay, one more: If you have never read any of the Jolly Postman series, you're in for a treat.
Loved these recommendations!
We decided to get all the Virginia Lee Burton books. SOOOO cute! And she has such a fun biography
Post a Comment