Friday, April 25, 2008

Roughin it!



















So me and the Misses decided to go on an exploratory mission to delve into the mysterious and potentially dangerous realm of "Baby Camping." This small flagship trip at a state park a half an hour away was supposed to instill in us the confidence to venture a little further away from home and not worry about whether we brought all of the baby's _____ and _____ and ______ and basically let us know what it takes to rough it with the little one. I am pleased to announce that the baby was actually the most well-behaved aspect of the entire mission. The first mistake we made was due to a lack of knowledge that two lakes under the name of "Crooked" could be located in the same county. The respectable reader is asking himself right now: "How could you be so foolish?"

In any case, a 1.5 hour drive to travel less than 30 miles cleared it up real fast. Well, the next National Lampoon's Family Vacation-esque occurance was the recent fly hatch in the near vacinity of the campground. Although we were early in the camping season and on a thursday night, the campground was packed: Not with creatures of the two legged type, but of with those possessing multiple mouths and two wings. Anyway, to cut my rantings short.....er, this thoroughly annoyed the wife of my youth. On top of it all, it rained quite hard the entire night, which is ok, except that the small tent forced me to scrunch in the fetal position the entire night to keep my soles dry (for those of you blessed enough to have never camped during a rainstorm, the mere touching of the wall of the tent causes the toucher to get rather soaked). Anyway, you shouldn't believe everything you read on the internet: I had a great time. By the way, we're thinking of submitting the first pic for a Subaru commercial.


So, as proud parents, we like to just slap on cute pictures of little timmy doing what he does best: nothing. So let the cuteness soak in like a nice, relaxing bubble bath, and don't mind the ugly mug in the upper right picture. enjoy!

Since I haven't been a participator in the blog scene for quite some time, I thought I'd tell about my second best reason to go back to Utah: kiteboarding. If you have not been witness to the scott stapleton quirks, you should know that I just might get rather obsessive about certain recreational activities, and kiteboarding takes center stage at the moment. Over spring break, I had the high hopes of getting out 3 of 4 times, but after the 2nd time, I was sore enough to become quite aware that the passing of time is only finding me slightly older, fatter, and more out of shape. If being able to move wasn't a prerequisite for kiteboarding, I would have reached my goal of 3 or 4 times over the break. Be it as it was, I had a great go! My dad came with me the first time, and we had weak wind, but it was good for learning, and he did great. The second outing, I had the kind of wind that makes all of the other futile trips with no wind quite worth it. On top of it all, I ran into Ozone Kite's own Brian Schenk, and he let me use one of the newer, larger kites. I kited till it was too dark to continue, leaving just enough energy in my arms to steer my automobile back to the safety of home.

3 comments:

Harvey Family said...

The fatter, older, out of shape version of Scott can be summed up in two words-Grad student. I feel your pain.

Harv

Angie said...

Wow, what great adventures you two are having! The little one is absolutely adorable. And yes, I'm talking about Timmy!

brettandkatie said...

You guys are brave! Brett and I are trying to plan our first hiking/camping trip this year with Myles, and I keep wondering how this is going to work and how on earth did our parents do it?