Quote from The Comfort Book by Matt Haig:
I sadly have to return this library book now. I want to be able to read this part again and again and thought I'd post it here.It means something different to me every time I read it, and I think that's what makes a great poem!
HOW TO BE AN OCEAN
by Matt Haig
You haven't failed,
In a moment of sadness.
You haven't lost,
In a moment of defeat.
You are not a statue
Standing in an eternal contrapposto.
You are a thing in motion:
A rising tide, a cresting wave.
Your vast depths witness
Every marvel, every wonder.
You are, then, marvelous,
And wonderful. So:
Don't fight the moon.
Allow every tide.
And give all your wrecked ships
The space to hide.
Sometimes I think it is a poem about being sad.
Sometimes, a poem about grief.
Sometimes, I think it's talking about physical or emotional pain..... which could apply to a variety of reasons and situations.
Depression. Loss. Childbirth. IIlness. You name it. I feel like this poem is written for anyone who is stumped.
The last part. "Give your wrecked ships a place to hide."
This could mean so many things.
The last part. "Give your wrecked ships a place to hide."
This could mean so many things.
I see it this way. Sometimes we are navigating the ocean of life pretty well..... and then our ship sinks, and we are ashamed for it. Ashamed for feeling stuff. Ashamed for making mistakes . Ashamed for failing. Ashamed for "still hurting" after a long ago loss or trauma. Or not being "On top of life" like we used to.
Whatever it is....
...... the great ocean of compassion. The great ocean of redemption. The great ocean of love. The great depth of your own worth and your soul....that is enough to cover those ships.....you are waaaaayyyyyy more than those wrecked ships.
In fact, you ARE the ocean, a living, breathing, moving wonder. Marvelous.
No comments:
Post a Comment