Number Two has finally decided to grace us all with his presence. The short story is this: Hooray for DRUGS!!! Hip-hip, hooray! Hip-hip, hooray!
Now the long story: KT started mild contractions last night at about 11, woke up with strong contractions at about 4 am, and we got to the hospital at around 6. Her contractions were killing her: they were all in her back just like last time, and she was having a rough go.
Also, the hospital seemed to have an influx of laboring women due to a small storm: the nurse is sure that the barametric pressure change induces labor: which is one we hadn't heard (this week, it's been fun hearing everyone's different theories on means of inducing labor.) KT had a piece of pumpkin pie yesterday, so I'm going to claim it was pumpkin pie. Hear that all you overdue expectants? Load up on pumpkin pie to get that labor kicking into high gear (studies have shown that german chocolate cake or cheesecake are acceptable substitutions for pumpkin pie). While we're discussing pie..... wait, what was I saying again? Oh right, childbirth. We'll have to save the pie discussions for next time.
So we went in, and KT was a 6. "Epidural, Epidural!" the crowd cries. But there was no anacezi-, anesethio.., drug guy around so she had to wait. However, angel in scrubs did show up to grant her one wish: numbness from the waist down. This was followed by hours of painless labor (the best kind of labor), sleeping, and listening to music. I was getting really bored on the sidelines, so they ruptured her membranes and she started pushing. The little guy squeezed out of there after about 30 minutes of rather intense pushing. I was pretty shocked to see the resident yank him out: she put her foot up on the bed as an anchor, and just pulled the heck out of him. You would think she was pulling a stubborn root out of the ground and not a baby.
Anyway, Number 2 (aka "the baby") started coming out, and it was soon clear that there was a lot more of him coming out than anyone had previously supposed. All the nurses made their bet as to how much he weighed, and one of them guessed it right on the button: 9 lbs., 10 oz.!! So, the moral of this story is, eat pumpkin pie at least a few days before your due date, not 11 days after.
Only under the influence of an epidural can one smile so nicely during contractions
Stay tuned for the unveiling of the name......
27 comments:
Amazing. Congratulations!!
For interesting comments on the determinants of the timing of childbirth (other than the consumption of pie), see: http://www.alumni.mbs.edu/files/Gans-Leigh-MR-2007.pdf
I am convinced that chocolate-covered strawberries do the trick. And it's one people are usually willing to at least try. I will try your pie one too, if needed someday.
I have heard that storms cause labor. Sorry it's been so pleasant the last few weeks...
Oh, and congrats!!!
Congratulations to all four of you. BOYS, take care of your mama/wife ... she just gave birth to a toddler ... hehe.
Also, full moons are also responsible for more births.
Congrats....I've always said hooray for drugs, my job depends on it:) Can't wait to meet the little guy!!
More pics... more pics!! Congratulations Scott and KT. The Fox family is so so happy for you. I like the beenie you made for him!! Keep us posted! Luv, Calli
Congrats. I too am a huge fan of drugs. Maya is on pins and needles about the name, she doesn't understand why he doesn't have one yet.
What a cutie! So, was one natural birth enough for KT? Can't wait to find out his name. Congrats to the whole family.
Congratulations! I'll need to remember that pie idea. ;) I'm glad he decided to come... more for Katie than anyone.
Congratulations! So glad everything went well. I'll have to try that pie thing next time. Katie, you had a TEN POUND BABY IN THERE?!! Sainted. You go, girl.
Yea for the epidural! I'm so glad #2 labor was so much better. He's adorable!
Yeah! What a great birthing story! Congrats guys!
He is adorable - especially with that cute hat daddy made! Congrats and I'm with you on the drugs! Any baby bigger than 9 lbs earns you the title "Amazon Woman." Dang girl!
Congratulations! He is so cute. We're glad he finally made it. And LOVE the hat!
Yeah, congrats. I am so excited for you guys. Glad everything went well. Can't wait to meet him.
Congrats! I heard the same about the storms...we had Kiffer after the first snowstorm...there were at least 10 of us on the L&D floor that night! Can't wait to hear more about your little guy!
whoa! Congrats you guys!! Finally!! Right!? horray for pumpkin pie! He is darling!
Yeah!! Congrats on birthing a 2 month old :)
Congrats! Dang, that is one big baby. Katie your a trooper. Can't wait to see the little guy in person.
Congrats you guys! I tried everything with my first to get the job started...looks like I missed out on the pumpkin pie idea...thanks for the tip!
Congrats! We are so happy for you! Epidurals are truly heaven sent!! Glad you were able to get one. Where did you find a pumpkin pie in May?? He is beautiful... so round and plump... perfect! Hope you are feeling well Katie. Good luck with everything - two boys close together are wonderful! So much fun!
Congrats! He is beautiful. Hope you're feeling well :)
He is beautiful! I'm glad everything went smoothly and he's finally here! Congratulations!
Holy crap! He is the size of bloody sputnik! Congrats you guys! What a cutie!
Big Congrats- what a cute little baby :)
he's so precious!! it's about time!! welcome little baby boy!
congratulations, congratulations! we are so excited for you guys. and we love the name aaron (which is why we chose it for nash's middle name). he is adorable. katie--i can't believe he was born so late and was so big! you are awesome! way to go on a beautiful new baby boy! i hope you are all doing well. i'm glad your mom got to come help, too. i wish i could be there to hold him!
Post a Comment