Saturday, June 25, 2011

Porto, installment 1

I’ve never done a “travel log” before, but I figured that since I’m emailing KT every day anyway, I might as well just put it all on the blog (minus the lovey-dovey stuff like “I miss you sweetums” and that sort of thing). 
So I had a crazy airport day today.  Flew to Philly...fine.  Flew to Madrid....there was a storm so we were an hour late.  My connection was tight in Madrid, but still manageable.  In Detroit, they gave me the boarding passes, but not from Madrid to Porto, because I was switching airlines.  They just said to go to the gate and get a pass, no big deal.  So when I get out of the plane in Madrid, it was unlike any airport I have ever been in.  Just one long walkway with no gates on either side.  I followed the signs to my terminal and I had to get on the bus.  They had a security check there, and they wouldn’t let me through without a boarding pass.  So I run upstairs to get one from the US Airways ticket office, and the ticket area is so crowded that I couldn’t get anywhere.  I totally missed the flight, and got re-booked for 6 hours later.  It took me almost two hours to locate my luggage.  Then I had to go to a different terminal that was probably 5 or 10 miles away, and check in my luggage and go through security again for a whole other airline.  All of this, and I was living with my measly 5 hours of sleep in the last 24 hours.  Not fun.  Anyway, here’s a pic of the Madrid airport: the nice terminal that I ended up at: (I wanted to get a self-picture of me making a peace sign or something, but I actually got in trouble by a polecia for taking pictures in the airport.   I think I’ve maxed out my knowledge of the Spanish language. 



Anyway, I met a cool guy from Texas / Nederland, and we had a cool talk about religion (it always comes up once Germany becomes a topic).  I finally made my way to the hostel, and it is in the coolest part of town: very hilly right by the river with cliffs and stuff.  This is a view from the balcony:


No comments: