Monday, June 27, 2011

Porto, installment 3

The Dynamic Duo: unfortunately, I won't be around on 12 Julho, but oh if I could, oh if I could. Sigh.

Last night, we walked over the bridge into an old neighborhood with 10ft wide streets winding down the hill. We had dinner at a resturaunt with no tourists and no one even spoke english. We had a great meal, and a great view of the city. This is Paul, one of my labmates with Isabel, a spaniard who has been hanging out with us.


This morning, we took a little boat ride on the river: very nice.

We just got into our hotel near the University for the conference, and the bathroom is bizarre. There is a window between the bathroom and the room, giving the bathroom user a fantastic view of the rest of the room, while the occupants of the room have an opportune and strangely inappropriate view of all of the goings-on in the WC. I really wonder how it happened....

...Pedro from the architectural firm is brainstorming with his office-mate and long time golf buddy Manuel, when suddenly Pedro bursts out, "I know, we could put a long window about chest-high between the bathroom and bedroom." Manuel lights up and responds, "That would be perfect! I always wondered what was going on in the bathroom during my absence, and I could probably watch TV from the can." "Great, it's settled then. We'll cut a whole in the wall and put a bathroom window in every room." And with that, Pedro calls his wife Sylvia to let her know he's on his way home and both men pack up and head for the door....

1 comment:

Katie Stapleton said...

oh dear! So, did you hang a curtain, or just try to turn the other way every time someone was on the John?